Saturday, September 27, 2008

Why Did Sen. Obama Keep Calling Him "John"?

Most pundits agree that there was no major gaffe or soundbite that sticks out for either candidate from last night's debate. However, I have to admit every time I heard Senator Obama refer to Senator McCain as "John" it sent a chill up my spine and made me cringe. I went back to the debate transcript and counted "23" times that Obama call him "John".

Doesn't Senator McCain deserve a little bit of respect and deference? This was not a political discussion at the company picnic or at the annual block party. This was a Presidential Debate!

This informal rhetoric is unprecedented. Senator Kerry did not use "George" once in any of the debates in 2004. Then Governor Bush, never referred to Vice-President Gore as "AL". No "Bill's" out of the mouth of George HW Bush or "George's" from the Governor Clinton.

And no "Ron's" from President Carter of Senator Mondale...

Who does BARACK think he is? Is he trying to make-up for his weak resume -- by pretending that he is on the same level as Senator McCain?

I think this informality was a problem for Obama -- It was not Presidential.

2 comments:

Stray Yellar Dawg? said...

I think Mr. Obama is intimidated by Mr. McCain's experience. He was clearly trying to come across as an equal. It appeared as if he even had his hair frosted to look like it was turning grey.

MEMO TO OBAMA:

“I agree with what she said” might be OK when the debate opponant is a member of your own party.

“I agree with what he said” is not so good… when the opponant is, in your own words, the “third term of Bush.”

Oh, and having a bracelet “too” does not make you the equivalent of Mr. McCain. Nor does the grey hair.

adagioforstrings said...

I listened to the debate in a left of center crowd on my college campus. When Obama made the crack about having a bracelet, too, the audience broke out clapping & cheering & I left the room.